Sunday, August 24, 2014

Is it charity, or is it the conscious destruction of a people?

The Lonely Libertarian has a post up this morning that is a must read.  It will make one think about both the true needs of less well off Americans, and the state of the country and it's culture.

Go thee forth and see.

 "I have mixed feelings about this post. But I'm just going to report the facts as I observed them.

Every year, the local Kiwanis Clubs team together with the Salvation Army and Walmart to host a Back to School fair for underprivileged kids in the area. There's snacks and bouncy houses, a vaccination booth (don't get me started here), and each child receives a backpack, lunch box (don't know why since they all get free lunches), and all the recommended supplies. This year, they prepared 5000 backpacks. 5000. Backpacks. Full of stuff. Free. And they ran out with a considerable number of kids still left. So they issued vouchers to Walmart for the same items that were being offered at the fair. One $10 backpack, one $5 lunch box, paper, pens, pencils, RoseArt markers and crayons, binders and notebooks. Probably about $70 total. Not a bad deal, especially when you consider most of the recipient families have two or more (many more) kids. Take my next door neighbors, four kids all anchor babies, mom and dad don't speak English, would have received $280 worth of free school supplies.

Now, I'm extremely charitable, I'll give the shirt off my back and the last buck in my pocket to someone who really needs it. And I don't expect drippy gratitude, a "Hey, thanks!" is good enough. But when I give someone something, the last thing I expect is hostility. And that's just a small fraction of what I witnessed at Walmart this morning."

Perhaps it's time to forget about donating to the charities that cater to this crowd.  Like a parent that ruins a child by providing everything it wants, we seem to have infantilized an entire class of people in this country, who now are totally unable to either care for themselves or to place an accurate value on anything they have.  

They need and expect others to simply hand them the basic needs of life, and they growl and threaten as they take.  Gimme dat!

Is that the goal of charity?  

The only solution to this is hard, very hard, and it will come whether we want it to or not.  No matter if society cuts off the flow of goodies, or if nature does the job involuntarily through national bankruptcy, reality will intrude in a brutal way for these helpless, angry, debased and ignorant people.  I doubt that this is the end result that LBJ and those who created the "Great Society" envisioned.


4 comments:

  1. I don't know about the rest of the Great Society crowd, but LBJ wasn't at all interested in bettering the plight of the welfare classes. His entire focus was to grow the Democrat base and keep them dependent on the Dems for their bread and butter. He succeeded in spades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 20% of Americans receive food stamps. I'm so proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LBJ knew exactly what he was doing. We didn't stop it then and we are not stopping it now. Shame on us.

      Delete