Saturday, May 17, 2014

Breakfast blogging

Since the days are getting longer, the chickens are laying, and when I came into the kitchen this morning I saw this collection of eggs from last week.  We have but three hens, but at this time of year they do pretty well laying eggs.  The white ones are store bought, the brown and green, ranch style.

If you had, say, ten hens, at certain times of the year you'd have trouble keeping up with all the eggs they would lay.  It would be hard to starve.


Seeing this wealth of eggs, I decided to feed the clan with a scramble egg - stravaganza.

  I pulled out all the leftover stuff I could find in the fridge - half an onion, a few slices of tomato, a couple of squares of old yellow cheese ( the third one I threw to the dog, who was very appreciative), and mushrooms.

First, I sauteed the mushrooms and onions, then I poured the eggs and everything else in the Griswold cast iron skillet, and let everything cook.  I had already cooked the last andouille sausage I found earlier in the freezer, so that was sliced up and properly garnished with ketchup and horseradish.   Some green chili salsa was reserved for the scramble.

Shortly, there was this.  The wife and oldest daughter were up, so they got a plate too.  An egg - cellent way to get going on a Saturday!



6 comments:

  1. Boy, that looks GOOD, CW! Never want to eat store eggs ever again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still surprises me in the difference in quality, even now that we keep the chicks in the coop. Before, when we let them range, there was a huge difference.

      Delete
  2. Hard to find better than home grown eggs. You have an Ameraucana hen! God, I miss Maude, she was my constant companion while gardening.
    Swap the andouille for linguica, ditch the ketchup, and you have the same thing I fixed. All good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't kill the laying hen for frying or frickaseein?

      Delete
  3. Why would I kill my best laying hen?! Besides which I don't care for fried chicken, or that frick'n stuff. Maude is still alive and bossing a bunch of youngsters, I check up on her when I can, but she doesn't really Talk on the cell phone, just kinda a soft clucking... sigh

    ReplyDelete